Pearl Harbor, Hawaii:
USS Enterprise, Hornet and escorts have sortied to meet the Japanese fleet bound for Midway. USS Yorktown, which arrived 27 May from action in the Coral Sea is in the shipyard undergoing deperate repairs to enable her to join Enterprise and Hornet.
After clearing the Inland Sea on the 27th, Nagumo’s forces have set a north-easterly course at 14 knots. Ships crews turn to the daily routine of maintenance, cleaning and participating in drills whilke the embarked aircrew amused themselves playing cards in the ready room or passing around novels while sunning themselves on the flight deck – some had brought wooden deck chairs for this purpose. (ed – It would appear there were (are) some universal similarities across naval aviation…). The overall mood of the crews was relaxed. Duty carrier rotation was set with Soryu taking the first watch on the 27th.
However, overnight on the 27th, CDR Fuchida Mitsuo, CAG for Akagi’s air group, was diagnosed with acute appendicitis. Although he pleaded otherwise, the flight surgeon overruled him and operated immediately. Fuchida would miss the coming battle, at least leading the air group in battle, and this was dismaying to the veteran crews.
- 1430, 28 May – Kido Butai’s supply ships are sighted and once they wer joined in the force, a course change to east-northeast was ordered. Speed remained at 14 knots in consideration of the destroyers and other fuel hogs in the fleet.
Article Series - Coral Sea & Midway
- Battle of the Coral Sea: Day 1 (7 May 07)
- Battle of Coral Sea: Day 2
- Flightdeck Friday: Countdown to Midway – Land-based Air (US)
- Countdown to Midway: Battlespace
- Flightdeck Friday: Countdown to Midway – IJN Carrier-based Air Order of Battle (AOB)
- Countdown to Midway: 27 May 1942
- Countdown to Midway: 28 May 1942
- Countdown to Midway: 30 May 1942
- Flightdeck Friday: Countdown to Midway – USN Carrier-based Air Order of Battle (AOB)
- Countdown to Midway: 3 June – First Contact
- 65th Anniversary of the Battle of Midway: 4/5 June – Forces Engaged
- Midway 65 Years Later – Lessons Learned
- Midway – 67 Years Later and Controversies Still Abound
- Remembering Midway – 68 Years Later
- Flightdeck Friday Special — Midway & Marauders: A Shore-Based Strike POV